BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
December 14, 2018
Mission: Drug Free Johnson County is a volunteer organization dedicated to serving as a catalyst for preventing, treating and reducing the negative effects of substance abuse by youth and adults in Johnson County.
Attendees: Rick Hughes, Judy Olds, Tammi Hickman, Nicole Emerson, Cindy Carroll, Michelle McMahon, Sonya Ware-Meguiar, Kendee Kolp, Elaine Bottomley, Kate Krukemeier, Kyle Roberts, Susan Sahm, Jennifer Parker, Kody Martin, Zach Russell, Kara Pickering, Kathleen Ratcliff and Nancy Voris.
- Judy Olds called the meeting to order at 10:34 A.M.
- Introductions were made by all in attendance
- Judy Olds gave everyone the opportunity to review the minutes for the previous meeting. Nicole Emerson made a motion to approve the minutes; Sonya Ware-Meguiar seconded the motion. All in attendance approved. Minutes were approved.
- Coordinator Rick Hughes also announced that November funds totaled $8,446.00. Totals for December are not yet known but they typically are less and around $2,000.00. Rick announced the yearly total is projected to be around $92,000.00 which is an increase over the past few years.
- Coordinator Rick Hughes also reminded the 2018 grantees that the end of the year report would be due on January 15, 2019.
- Vice President Michelle McMahon passed out an informational sheet on the grant committee’s recommendations for the 2019 grants and gave a brief update on the reasons for the committee’s recommendations.
- Voting for the 2019 grants will take place at the next meeting on January 18, 2019 so December totals can be included.
- Coordinator Rick Hughes announced the Executive Board needs to be voted on for the 2019 term; each position is elected for a one year term. Judy Olds announced she would accept a nomination to continue as president; Michelle McMahon announced she would accept a nomination to continue as Vice President and Tammi Hickman also announced she would accept a nomination to continue as Secretary. Susan Sahm made a motion to nominate all 3 Executive Board member positions to remain for 2019; Nicole Emerson seconded the motion. All members voted to approve.
- Coordinator Rick Hughes announced the following board members were up for re-election in 2019; Sonya Ware-Meguiar, Kendee Kolp, Nicole Emerson, Susan Sahm, Kate Krukemeier, Jennifer Parker. Tony Povinelli is also up for re-election but he has requested that Kody Martin take his place. Kate Krukemeier made a motion to approve Kody Martin; Kathleen Ratcliff seconded the motion. All members approved. These positions are for 2 year terms. All members accepted nomination to remain in place; Michelle McMahon made a motion to re-appoint all members with Kody Martin added; Judy Olds seconded the motion. All members voted to approve.
- Old business; none was discussed.
- New business; the next meeting of the Anti Drug Coalition will be January 15 at the Indiana State Board of Health; Conference Room #5 from 1 P.M. to 2 P.M.
- Judy Olds introduced Elaine Bottomley from the Human Trafficking Assistance Program. Elaine passed out flyers and gave an overview and description of the program and invited any member to contact her for further information or speaking engagement.
- Michelle McMahon informed the Board of a community education forum that will be held on 3 different dates and locations regarding vaping and the health warning regarding vaping.
- First forum will be held on January 29, 2019 at 6 P.M. at the Edinburgh Community Center.
- Second forum will be held February 26, 2019 at 7 P.M. at Franklin Parks and Recreation Center.
- Third forum will be held on March 12, 2019 at 6 P.M. at the Trafalgar Library.
- The group is hoping to host another forum in the Greenwood area if anyone knows of a location where it can be held.
- Judy Olds announced that Youth Connections was in the process of contracting with Kevin Hinds to be their speaker at the Breakfast of Champions on June 5, 2019. Kevin is an author and speaker on suicide and mental health and is a survivor of a suicide attempt when he was younger. Youth Connections also hopes to host a symposium following the breakfast with Kevin Hinds but details have not yet been worked out.
- Tammi Hickman made a motion to adjourn and Kate Krukemeier seconded.
- Meeting adjourned.