February 2017 Minutes
Board of Directors Meeting
Mission: Drug Free Johnson County is a volunteer organization dedicated to serving as a catalyst for preventing, treating and reducing the negative effects of substance abuse by youth and adults in Johnson County.
Attendees: Judy Olds, John Regas, Abby Hamilton, Kiersten Sedler, Cristal Nevins, Karen Fitzgerald, Amy Schoettmer, Erica Garrity, Kate Krukemeier, Michelle McMahon, Deb Dougherty, Pete Ketchum, Kendee Kolp, Cindy Carroll, Susan Sahm
- Call to Order: Judy Olds called the meeting to order at 1035 hours.
- Introductions were made by all in attendance.
- Judy Duncan gave everyone an opportunity to review the January minutes. No amendments were recommended. Karen Fitzgerald made a motion to accept the minutes as presented. Kendee Kolp seconded the motion. Judy Olds called for a vote, with all members voting in favor and none opposed.
- Jim Hoeing passed out, and explained the conflict of interest forms. The forms were completed by all board members who did not have one on file.
- Amy Schoettmer gave a grantee update for Turning Point Domestic Violence Services. During the update, she stated that SASSI forms are given to all clients. This gives Turning Point an idea if a client may turn to substance abuse as a coping tool. Johnson County is one of the biggest users for this. She also provided an informational brochure about substance abuse and violence.
- Judy Olds asked for any new business:
- John Regas stated that Franklin Schools are looking at hosting former Colt’s player Steve Grant. Steve is a motivational speaker who talks about consequences of choices, respectful relationships and academic excellence. The cost is $10,000.00 for three days. He stated Nancy Vorhees is heading up the project. There was a lot of discussion by board members surrounding this project, including who should attend and ways of funding the project. Judy Olds also stated there are other options, including a former BMX rider who speaks for $1,500.00.
- Judy Olds asked for a volunteer to provide a grantee update at the next meeting. Amy Schoettmer stated she would provide an update for Creative Counseling.
- Judy Olds state the Breakfast of Champions is going to be May 24th, 2017. This is the largest fundraiser for Youth Connections.
- With no other business brought forward, Kendee Kolp made a motion to adjourn. Michelle McMahon seconded the motion, and Judy Olds called for a vote. All members voted in favor, with none opposed.